Thursday, October 1, 2009

I dont have a problem with it, but...


After some of the readings talking about 'queers' in the media in the book, Gender, Race, and Class in Media it got me thinking..It really makes me upset when I hear people say, "I dont have any problems with gays but..." that but is so contradictory to what they just said, that 'but' implies yeah there's something about them I dont like but I dont want to seem like im homophobic. People say, "I dont care I just dont wanna see it," really their saying I dont even want to acknowelge gays. Is that how society is gonna be, a ideological thing that people wont acknowelge what makes them uncomfortable instead of just facing facts or learning to accept everyone as equal around them? This goes along with racism, its not talked about, but it happens just like people ignore the whole gay discusion of equality of all men and all women.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you. I do not have any problem with gay men or women. It is quite annoying to hear the "but" part of a statement when people talk about gay couples. What I want to figure out, is why lesbianism is so welcomed compared to gay men. I know a huge part is media, but why almost everyone accepts it confuses me. When guys see two girls make out or dance sexually they are exchanging high fives and getting excited. When the girls see how guys react to their sexual behaviors with other women they continue them for attention. But, when two men are seen doing these things people get grossed out and try to get them removed from the area they are at. So now they have gay and lesbian bars, because society can't accept the image of the same sex relations. More so men then women.

    ReplyDelete